Marketing Advisor Update

Sales and marketing tips, insights and advice for service businesses amd companies selling complex or technical products.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Latest BizTip Q + A - how to get a mailing list

I regularly get questions from business owners. Unlike other advisors I know, I don't always charge for my advice. Every now and then I'll post one of my answers onto the BizTips page at my website. Here is the latest question and answer...

Paul P. asked:
I'm starting my own business, and all I want to do is buy one mailing list of one-family homes valued at $250,000 and up, in Louisville, Kentucky. Everyone wants to sell me some kind of package. Lost. What can I do?

Answer:
As I'm not in your area I can't tell you exactly what information is available. However, from my experience that sort of detailed/matched information will only be available if it has been specifically collected previously by a commercial organisation or research company. General government census data doesn't usually match data like the family type with a specific home address (within a specific range of value).

I don't think you should have to buy a 'package' of data but the list you want may be quite expensive, as far as lists go, because it is for upper income households, and must have been pre-qualified (i.e. checked) to make sure the family and home value status match.

Check around for 'list brokers' who may be able to provide what you want. Ask them what they have. They may be outside your area but have suitable list for you. Prices are usually quoted per 'record' (which is per name). Check how recent the list is, and how often it is used (maybe it is over-used and recipients are sick of getting mail?)

As an alternative, why not target tight geographic areas where the home values match what you need, and start a promotional program to attract the right type of client. Your promotional/marketing plan could include the following (Note: I don't know what you will be offering, so not all ideas may be equally suitable):

* Leaflet drops
* Advertising in local papers
* Editorials in local papers based on a news-worthy story you can offer.
* Sponsoring suitable events in the area.
* Speaking to local groups (maybe Rotary, business, special interest groups)
* Website, with key words targeting the area and what you are offering.
* Joint ventures with existing businesses who already have those types of clients you are targeting:
- mail outs
- seminars
- advertising
- email newsletter advertising
- reciprocal links on website
* Building referral network based on building a relationship with the referrers.

Hope this gets you thinking!

All the best.
Stuart.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home